This is a great little sauce we’ve made to go with our zoodles or meatballs on several occasions. The fresh basil leaves are what make this tomato sauce so don’t leave them out. It’s inspired by Pete Evan’s recipe in his Family Food cookbook.
Pete's Pasta Sauce
Author: Claire D
Recipe type: Tomato Sauce
Type of food: Paleo
Serves: 3½ cups
What you need:
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, diced finely (we like the purple variety for this)
- 2 cups (500g) crushed tomatoes - canned is fine just make sure they're only tomatoes
- Handful of basil leaves (about 10 large leaves)
- 1 cup water
What to do...
- Heat the coconut oil in a large fry pan over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and saute for about a minute. Then add in the garlic and saute for another minute or until both onions and garlic lightly browned.
- Add in the tomatoes and 1 cup of water and simmer everything for around 20 minutes.
- Add the basil and simmer for a further minute.
- Let the mixture cool slightly and then add to your blender to blend smooth if you prefer that. (Remember not to put the whole lid on a blender when blending hot ingredients - have somewhere for air to escape.)
- This keeps fine in the fridge for a week.