Ok so here’s a super easy breakfast meal. But of course the trick is that you need to prepare this the night before. And by prepare I just mean at least add the chia to your liquid or you can go ahead and mix all the ingredients together so its ready to serve in the morning. In a later post well go over chia porridge which you can make up in the morning.
Chia seeds expand up to 17 times their original size. They’re a rather trendy food at the moment and can be eaten either sprinkled on top of food or as thickening agent by soaking them in the liquid ingredients like here. We love coconut milk/water or coconut cream for added indulgent taste. For those of you curious as to where they sit in Paleo/Primal eating (as I was) check out Mark’s Daily Apple website. He concludes they’re “Primal but not such a superfood as might be made out”. Also from another source that I trust (www.thepaleomom.com) it’s clear that you would want to avoid chia seeds on a strict auto-immune protocol diet or if dealing with any ongoing gut issues.
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1½ cups (or 1 can) coconut (or other) milk
- ¼ -1/2 cup water (depending on how thick you like it)
- ½ - 1 cup of any ingredients you love to add from sweet to savoury - our favourites are banana & cinnamon, blueberries or stewed or grated apple with cinnamon.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour into individual bowls or jars.
- Leave in fridge for at least 2 hours (we usually make night before).
You can add tablespoon of cocoa or one serve of protein powder for something different.