This isn’t really a “recipe” as such. Just the method of making chips that are super crunchy and delicious that we use so we’ve called them our perfect sweet potato chips.
5 medium sized sweet potatoes (the purple ones seem to work best but orange fine too.
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or another fat – lard or olive or macadamia oil for example).
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees celsius.
- Slice the sweet potatoes with a mandolin slicer – carefully!!!
- Place all the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour in the coconut oil (or if its hard you can just put in and then spread) and get your hands in to “massage” the slices so completely coated.
- Spread slices over a baking tray (or 2 depending your oven size / capacity). It’s important the slices do not overlap and there’s a bit of space between otherwise they steam cook rather than go crispy.
- Sprinkle with salt – light coating. Or use seasoning blend of herbs/spices of your choice.
- Bake for aproximately 60 minutes total but check on them after 30 minutes and flip them over.
There you go – super easy perfect sweet potato chips.
For variation you can cut lengthwise and do as more typical french fries. They last fine to be crunchy for at least a day and usually 2 days in airtight container. I usually make up the night before.
Also! You can totally cook these much faster at higher heat. So for example 180 degrees celsius will take only about 40 minutes to get crispy chips. BUT… 90% of the time I do this I burn them. So this is why I much prefer to take a bit longer and on a low heat.
We’d love to see your fries/chips if you make them and put them in your kids lunches or for other meals. Hashtag #kidslunchboxrevolution.