Yes I know this probably sounds weird but believe me it tastes totally delicious! *
I’ve set this out as a “recipe” for paleo porridge but as with so many of these types of meals you really can mix and match and the amounts are very forgiving as to what suits your taste preferences best. The thing to remember is that eggs and coconut help to bind the mixture as does the banana which is also useful as masking the cauliflower flavour (being a sweetener). The eggs and any protein powder are totally optional but we love to add to boost the protein content. I love to eat it with the cauliflower a bit crunchy but totally get it that this is not to everyones liking. To be safe suggest you blend up the cauliflower to a puree which will make it harder to notice.
If you’ve been following our blog a while you will know that we love to try to use whole foods like pumpkin, sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots and squash as much as possible when recreating traditional breakfast options.
Now, of course you can make mimic traditional cereal based breakfasts making granola type mixtures with some super amazing tastes using predominantly nuts. However, I prefer to keep nuts for snacking on or the occasional baked treat (made of nut flour) than to eat nuts by the spoonful in my breakfast. For one thing there are potentially issues on the omega-6 front (don’t ask me for the details as I’m not a nutritionist but if you google you’ll find plenty of info on this – start perhaps with Marks Daily Apple or The Paleo Mom websites for good general advice).
Then on the other hand nut based breakfasts are a missed opportunity to be eating more vegetables (and possibly moderate meat) so as to have the most nutrient dense meal.
Lastly nut based breakfasts tend toward the more stackable/higher sugar type meals and preferably we want to avoid starting the day with sugar both for what it does to the body and for setting up the taste buds for the day. Having said all of that we do have sweeter breakfasts (pancakes or porridge with some nuts) a couple of times a week on average.
So here’s the recipe Paleo Porridge – Mint Chocolate flavour – give it a go and post a pic in the comments or on our Facebook! Would love to know how you find it! Or try another option our totally yum CocoNutty Paleo Porridge.
- 1 cup cauliflower, grated
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup coconut cream or milk (cream will be thicker mixture and richer)
- 1 large banana
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (preferably white - it will work without these but adds nice thickness to texture)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla extract - optional
- 1 tsp cinnamon - optional
- Pinch of salt
- Kids Good Stuff - Mint Chocolate Supplement
- More water to add when cooking if required.
- Place grated cauliflower, coconut, banana and coconut milk in blender and blend until pureed.
- Transfer to stove top and bring to simmer and add whisked eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine so its a puree.
- Add more water as required to get consistency you like. I usually add an extra ½ cup as it cooks.
- Add any flavouring you prefer - like 1 scoop of Kids Good Stuff for mint choc flavour.
- Serve and enjoy!